- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
|My Pet Ate It, Now What?|
Prompt veterinary care can help reduce the risk for serious illness or lessen the chances for complications from injury associated with holiday hazards.
A veterinarian can perform testing to determine whether a pet has suffered serious damage from chewing on or swallowing ornaments, eating fatty or potentially poisonous food, or playing with seasonal decorations. Your veterinarian can prescribe medications to soothe a belly ache or counteract poison, perform x-rays and surgery to overcome intestinal obstructions, and repair lacerations.
If your pet encounters one of these holiday hazards, contact your veterinarian immediately.
The holidays are fun, even for pets, but the season brings added danger for animal companions. Learn to recognize and manage holiday hazards to keep your pet safe during the festivities.
Tinsel is attractive, especially to cats. Tinsel is not toxic but consuming tinsel can cause serious harm to your pet’s digestive system. The long, tough strands can actually cut through the intestine and cause peritonitis.
Pets love to play with bright, colorful ornaments, but may end up breaking or even chewing and swallowing these fragile decorations. Sharp, broken pieces can lacerate the animal’s mouth, throat, and digestive tract. Larger pieces can cause an obstruction and emergency surgery may be needed.
Cats love to climb trees, especially when the tree is indoors and loaded with ornaments and other decorations that look a lot like cat toys. A climbing cat can pull a fully decorated Christmas tree crashing to the ground, potentially injuring the animal. Tree water may contain dangerous fertilizers and stagnant tree water may contain unhealthy bacteria.
Consuming holly may cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Eating mistletoe can result in stomach upset and even heart problems. A cat may suffer kidney failure after ingesting some types of lilies.
A dog or cat that eats chocolate may experience vomiting and diarrhea, panting, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, seizures and, in severe cases, even death. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic compounds it contains.
Dogs and cats love turkey but this holiday fare may be dangerous to their health. The immediate pet hazard associated with turkey are the tiny bones that, if swallowed, may cause painful constipation or even splinter to perforate the stomach; both conditions require immediate veterinary attention. Feeding rich and fatty food like that served at holiday parties can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even inflammation of the pancreas. Raw or undercooked turkey can contain Salmonella, E. coli, or Campylobacter bacteria that can lead to food poisoning.
The herb sage contains essential oils and resins that add flavor to turkey and other holiday foods but this herb can cause an upset stomach and even nervous system problems in pets – especially cats.
Consuming raw bread dough is dangerous for pets, as heat from the animal’s body causes the dough to rise inside its stomach. The pet may experience vomiting, severe abdominal pain and bloating.
Any pet encountering these holiday hazards may need immediate veterinary care for a complete examination, blood tests, x-rays, medications, and even surgery. Make this holiday season merry for everyone, including your pets, by keeping pets safe from these potential holiday hazards.
ASPCA, “Holiday Safety Tips.” 2014.
Pet Poison HelpLine, “Winter Holiday Pet Poison Tips.” 2014
Sign up using the form below or call 207-351-1530 to make an appointment.
Provides great care for your pet. I don't think there isn't anything they can't do for your pet. They are also the only vet in the entire area that can provide Veterinary Orthopedic Manipulation (VOM). It's a form of chiropractic work for animals. I thought they were nuts for suggesting it, but it's the only thing that has helped my dog with her back issues. She does not take any pain meds and is like a puppy as long as she has VOM every month. It's truly a life/pain saver. My dog is living proof that this practice works. This practice is so rare that even a veterinary hospital in another state who specializes in rehabilitation does not perform this procedure (which is mind boggling). My other dog could not stomach pain meds and antibiotics after a surgery. We tried homeopathics and that's what helped her with her pain. They definitely know what they're doing when it comes to medical care for animals. We've been going there for 12 years and counting......
Dear the amazing team at Village Vet, thank you for the beautiful poem and heartfelt card you sent me after Lucy's passing. Its nice to know how much you care about your patients and their owners. I will miss my little monkey but WHEN we decide to bring another little furbaby into the family you'll be the first people I'll call.